Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Cassava Cuttings

I have been without power a lot this weekend, so whenever I wanted to update, I was unable to. Aaah, well, T.I.A. This is Africa! On Friday I joined seven others from the Fida office and went to deliver cassava cuttings to a community in need of food.
Community members signed up, although some couldn't even sign their name, so they offered a pinky fingerprint instead. Once Fida cleared all the paperwork, the people were each given two bags of cassava cuttings. If planted, they could produce up to an acre of cassava, which is a tuborous white crop.
There were a lot of people receiving cassava that day, but some people felt like they were not receiving enough, or some weren't getting any at all (and that is because they either didn't qualify, or they weren't from that community). Some people tried coming to me and complaining, thinking that I was the boss of Fida, but I explained that I was just a friend. So I decided to take a walk through the village, which is mostly an internally displaced people camp.
This tent is the police post... the officers wished they had a better office and I can imagine why.
Of course, you can't please everyone in the day.
Many children hung around with me, especially since they saw me shelling peanuts and hanging out with one local family.
This family invited to me to spend a lot of time with them throughout the day. I met this woman's 8 children, her elderly father, and a few of her precious grandchildren.
This was the lunch I shared with the family - beans and atap (a ground millet - not a dish I would order every day, but definitely filling).
The children shared the same meal.

Inside the family home - the messiest one I have yet seen.
Meet some of the elderly women in town, they too were waiting for cassava.

No comments:

Post a Comment