Donate Here

DONATE HERE: If you wish to send support for God's Work in Uganda, please click here! Every donation is deeply appreciated.



Monday, July 20, 2009

Chasing Sugar Cane

Here I am ~ showing off a new dress that my friend Peter made for me. Peter is a refugee from the Congo, and he does really great work. It was really special to bike around Soroti looking "Smart". I am glad I dressed up on the day I was called to be a nurse for the day.


On Sunday morning I was sitting at my dining room table, putting together week two of my Joseph Sunday school series, when one of the neighbour kids came over to get me. They said that their auntie was sick and bed and she needed me. I put on my sandals and followed the kids over. Tabitha looked very weak and so I chatted with her and we came up with a plan of her getting some blood work done and receiving treatment for malaria.
I biked to church in my new dress and had a great time with the kids. More and more of them want to sit on my lap during the service and one little girl, named Teddy, is my special sidekick. She even stands beside me while I am teaching Sunday school.
After church I biked over to see my friend Lawrence because he was also in bed with malaria, but I didn't know it was as bad as it was until I got there. He had a nurse with him and IV hooked up on a nail above his mattress on the floor. I spent the afternoon singing, praying, and reading Scriptures as well as communicating with many of his neighbours. They were all pitching in to make sure that he had everything that he needed: laundry done, food and drinks, medications, etc. It was tough to see him in such rough shape, but he continued to praise God through it all. Even as the IV needle was being removed from his arm I heard him trying to share the Gospel with one of his neighbours. He said, "If I can trust God and thank him for every hour of my life, even when I am in such a bad state - then you too should accept Christ and find true joy and peace."
In the late afternoon I went next door to check on another neighbour. Denis and Stella were due to have a baby a few days ago, but over the weekend Stella was also struggling with malaria. When I went to visit I found out that Stella is doing a lot better, but she is still very pregnant. I can't wait to be an auntie to this baby because the parents are so near and dear to my hearts. (Denis is my Ugandan brother - and he is a reminder that I have a true brother in Canada that I love dearly. Happy Birthday Dennis!!)
So, this morning I felt anxious to get out and go for a really fast bike ride before heading over to school. I was chasing and surpassing many men who were chewing sugar cane. That must have been the breakfast of choice for the day. :) I released all of my energy and learned that all of my friends were doing much better and at the end of the day, I once again say "Thank You God!"

2 comments:

  1. I am glad your friends are starting to feel better Karen. Love the new dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. you look amazing in your new garb! LOVE it. :D

    ReplyDelete